henry’s birthday

We had Henry’s birthday last weekend and by all accounts I think it was a success. Moving the party to our local community centre was a brilliant idea (thank you, husband). I’m not sure if I would have attempted sprinkle-covered sugar cookies and glitter-filled snow globes if it had been in our home. I think we all cam home a little glitzier and glamorous then we left.

With the help of my sister-in-law, I made the paper mobiles I first saw over on Jordan Ferney’s blog Oh Happy Day. I cut all the pieces while Erin kindly sewed them all together. They were the hit of the party.

I was amazed at how much the little ones liked decorating their own sugar cookies. I’m sure the bowls full of colourful sprinkles helped! I tried out a new sugar cookie recipe I saw over on The Kitchn. It was a great – easy to make and especially easy to roll out. It didn’t crumble or crack like other doughs I have tried. I would definitely use it again.¬† There seemed to be no limit of how much icing you could put on one cookie.

The night before the party, Myles and I painted all the lids of the jars for the snowglobes and glued the figurines to the bottom. I did find that the colour from the tree topiary models tended to bleed (as one reader warned me) but they weren’t a disaster. If you’re going to try making these I would also suggest you use a coarse or heavy glitter. The lighter, fine glitter tended to sit on the surface of the water and only blended in when the snowglobes were agitated. All in all the children enjoyed making them and they were a simple treat that everyone could bring home.

I made my own version of the Funfetti cake I saw over on The Kitchn. I used a basic vanilla layer cake recipe I found on Epicurious and my own favourite buttercream icing recipe. The result was a delicious cake that wasn’t too sweet or cloying. I covered the cake in tiny white sprinkles and colourful jimmies which I continue to find all over the house (in the most unlikely places, I might add!)

With two birthday parties behind us this month, today we celebrate my husband’s birthday – so Happy Birthday Myles! I can’t promise you anything on the scale of Henry’s birthday but I will try my best to make it somewhat memorable. I think there is some cake left over in the fridge!

Filed under cheers, in the night kitchen, you make it

17 Comments

1. Posted December 21, 2011 at 10:08 AM | Permalink

This looks really lovely. I am always hesitant to use community centre spaces as I find them often to be bland and cold, but your decor really makes it pretty and having the mess there would be a great incentive.

2. Pam
    Posted December 21, 2011 at 10:20 AM | Permalink

awesome. we love our snow globe, it brings us a ton of joy and I look forward to bringing it out each Christmas with fond memories of Henry’s Number Three Bday ! thank you so much Emma, and for all of your amazing contributions ! a real gift . xoxo

3. romina
    Posted December 21, 2011 at 10:23 AM | Permalink

Beautiful

4. Posted December 21, 2011 at 10:28 AM | Permalink

Gorgeous, Emma! You know how to throw a party!

5. Posted December 21, 2011 at 10:39 AM | Permalink

happy birthday to your little boy! love the snow globe idea for a birthday craft!

6. Posted December 21, 2011 at 10:57 AM | Permalink

Happy birthday! and WHAT A PARTY! I want if for myself and Im way past his little age :)

7. Sarah J
    Posted December 21, 2011 at 11:01 AM | Permalink

Looks wonderful! Also, so does your blouse. Where did you get it?

8. Posted December 21, 2011 at 11:19 AM | Permalink

@Sarah J – the blouse (which is sometimes also a dress – is I pull it all the way down) is from Anthropologie.

9. Kristen S
    Posted December 21, 2011 at 11:50 AM | Permalink

Looks absolutely lovely! The community center is a great idea. A friend rented out a photo studio for a baby shower that also worked out great.

10. Posted December 21, 2011 at 11:55 AM | Permalink

What a beautiful and thoughtful birthday party Emma! Looks like everyone had a fun time.

11. Posted December 21, 2011 at 12:54 PM | Permalink

Happy Belated Birthday to Henry and a Happy Birthday to your husband. The cake looked really nice and I loved the sprinkles on it and in it too.

12. Posted December 21, 2011 at 5:04 PM | Permalink

Such a pretty cake! I love how simple yet colorful it is. Gorgeous. Beautiful table setting as well. Saved the photos for future reference!

13. Posted December 21, 2011 at 5:30 PM | Permalink

oh wonderful! i have to do this snowglobes as well…. ;-) wish all of you a good partytime!

14. Posted December 22, 2011 at 1:40 AM | Permalink

What a fun party!! I love the paper mobiles! And your cake looks awesome!

15. janet bailey
    Posted December 22, 2011 at 8:29 PM | Permalink

Love the party pics, thanks for sharing. I’m definitely doing snowglobes next christmas when Levi is older! Glad Henry enjoyed himself.

16. Posted December 23, 2011 at 9:46 AM | Permalink

Can I ask what you used to paint the lids of the jars? I tried to do this last year and I couldn’t get the paint to take (I was re-using jars so the paint on them was slippery. Were your unpainted when you started?

Congrats on the baby!

17. Posted December 23, 2011 at 9:55 AM | Permalink

@Kathryn – I used Martha Stewart’s craft paint. The jars were unpainted when I started. You might want to try lightly sanding them first so the paint has something to stick to. Also, we waited almost 24 hours between coats so the paint was really dry.

One Trackback