You might remember that I sold the gold mirror that I use to have above our mantelpiece. I've been looking for something to replace it with but don't want to rush my decision. It has to be the right thing. In the meantime, I need something to fill up that black space. It's the focal point of our dining room and it looks unfinished when left empty. I found the perfect temporary solution - stained wood tiles held up with magnets.
My inspiration for these wood tiles came from Moonish, a company out of Brooklyn, that makes silkscreened tiles in a range of patterns. I thought the same look could be achieved with wood stain and some strategic taping. Rather than try and achieve a perfect finish I drew inspiration from the wabi-sabi patterns of these ceramic tiles. I love how loose and imperfect they look.
Here's What You'll Need:
- Marine grade or Russian Baltic plywood approximately 1/4" thick.
- Wood stain
- Sponge brush, rags, and a paint brush.
- Magnetic tape.
Here's How You Do it:
- Before you leave The Home Depot ask them to cut your sheet of plywood into your desired size. I used 8" x 8" tiles but any size would work depending on the space you are working with.
- Lightly sand the edges of each tile to remove any rough edges.
- Once you've determined your pattern, use the ScotchBlue™ Painter's Tape to mark off the first area you want to stain.
- Apply the stain with the sponge brush and wipe off the excess with a rag.
- Once the stain has dried, move on to taping and staining the other parts of the tile until the entire tile is stained.
- In order to achieve a soft finish with blurred edges, I applied a final coat of white wash stain over the entire tile and rubbed the stains into each other.
- The final step is to apply the magnetic tape to the back of each tile to hold them in place on the wall.
You can arrange the tiles on the wall in whatever pattern you like either following a strict order or mixing it up. Following my wabi-sabi inspiration, I put my tiles up in a random order.
I love the ways these tiles worked out. In total, the project cost me under $75 and took about 4 hours to make. You could use them anywhere - in a kitchen as a backsplash, in a bedroom as a headboard or even in an office or nursery. Cover an entire wall or just part of one.
The perfect autumn weekend DIY. Let me know if you give it a try.
I am proud to be a 3M sponsored blogger, and, as part of my responsibilities, I get the opportunity to evaluate products. Opinions are my own and additional product used in the project were selected by me.