Like most of you I have tried numerous ways of setting yearly goals and intentions for myself with the hopes that somehow they will stay with me for the course of 12 months and that I will emerge at the end of December a happier, more productive, more satisfied individual. After years and numerous different methods of trying I've come to the conclusion that it's not that easy. By the time the summer rolls around most of my goals have been long forgotten and I'll I'm dreaming about is my next swim in the lake. In fact, I wasn't even going to set myself any goals this year. But there is something about this time of the year that seems ripe for a bit of reevaluating. With a couple of weeks of holiday behind us and a chance to catch up on all the laundry, tidying, organizing, socializing and playing there is finally a bit of room for a bit of inward reflection and self-evaluation.
I have to admit that I love dreaming and planning for the year ahead. Even if I only remember my goals and intentions for 6 months there is the hope that some of the goodness will rub off and become daily habits. Below are a few of my goals for 2014.
1.Working out. High on my list is exercising at least three times a week. We have a gym at work so there's no excuses. First thing Monday morning I need to sign up and get started. I'm also thinking of doing a ballet bootcamp one night a week.
2. Redesign this blog. It's time to freshen this site up and bring it into 2014! I hope to have this accomplished in the first few months of the year. I'm excited for the changes.
3. Mindful consumption. Quality over quantity is my goal for the coming year across all spectrums. I'm going to have an online garage sale in the coming weeks to clean out some of the things I no longer use that are filling up our home. With every purchase I really want to evaluate whether or not it is something I will have for the long haul.
4. Go green. I love eating salads in the summer but find them hard to eat during the winter months when I'm craving warm comfort food. In November, I started drinking green smoothies again and I'd like to keep that up for the rest of the year along with adding in a few more dishes like this one (Roasted Broccoli, Kale and Chickpeas with Ricotta) from Sunday Suppers.
5. Eat breakfast. I can't believe this one still manages to elude me! I think it's because I like my bed too much in the morning. Given the choice between 10 extra minutes sleeping or eating food I'll always choose sleep which means I'm rushing out the door each morning. Bottom line: I need to get up earlier.
6. More plants. I love homes filled with greenery and I think a few corners of our house could do with a few more plants. I'm even going to try hanging a few of them from the ceiling maybe in our bathroom to start. (Check out my Interiors pinterest board to see which plant I'm thinking of adding.)
Have you made any goals or intentions for the year ahead?Image credits: 1. Ashlee-Star 2. Cy Twombly, Natural History Part I No. VII, Mushrooms, 1974. 3.Scott Newett & Sonia Rentsch via Trendland 4. Sunday Suppers 5. VtWonen