I wouldn’t call this a fait accompli but it is pretty darn close – close enough that I’m happy to share a few photos with you all today. After two months of painting and planning and searching and shopping and sourcing our bedroom now looks like this:
It’s quite a switch from our former bedroom! The moment we started painting over the dark grey paint with this softer, lighter putty colour (Benjamin Moore’s Baby Fawn) the entire room opened up. It was like we suddenly had light in there again.
You might remember that I was hoping to achieve a relaxed, layered look with lots of organic elements. I knew the biggest change we had to make was to our bedframe. Luckily, I met a talented, local craftsman named Dawson around the same time. Dawson was instrumental in pulling together Rachel and Paul’s country house which I showed you here a few weeks ago. When I talked to him about making us a new headboard he told me about these huge reclaimed Douglas Fir barn beams he had in his studio/barn. I fell in love with the idea of having a bedframe made out of them. I sent him a few inspiration images and some dimensions and a few weeks later the bedframe arrived. I was so happy with it that I later asked him to make a small bench for the foot of the bed out of the same wood. (You’ll also notice that the Spanish Moss knob from Anthropologie got the nod!)
Rather than pushing the organic motif too far, I chose to throw an old, crusty chandelier into the mix. As you can see from the first shot, our bedroom has an old Victorian fireplace which is quite ornate and elaborate. This 6-arm French chandelier (which I got for a steal!) speaks to the architecture of the room and makes the whole space a little more interesting. (You might even call it my wart or “ugly” piece.) I’d still like to add some scissor arm wall lights to the sides of the bed but I’m waiting to find the right ones. One day, I’d also like to replace that emerald green tile with something a little more subtle but that’s a whole other project!
I was also originally thinking of adding some soft, aqua pillows into the mix but then I remembered that I had these ones down in the basement that I made from an old, worn rug. Since my mandate from the beginning was to reuse and recycle whatever I could I thought I should give them a try. On a quick trip to West Elm, I found a selection of cushions made from repurposed cotton sari’s in warm shades of coral, mustard yellow and warm grey that completed the look and sealed the deal.
Finally, I found the round, wooden side table at a vintage store in Orono. It is actually an old cheese box that would have been used to age le fromage! It’s the perfect height for the side of the bed and even gives us a bit of extra storage space.
Looking back on all these images, I think I came fairly close to what I was hoping to achieve. I warmed up the overall tone of the room by adding the warm metals – gold, bronze and brass and by adding the coral pillows. I’m sure over the coming weeks I will play around with everything a bit more until I get it just right but for now I’m pretty satisfied!